DR. ELMER & GRACE SEVERINGHAUS HOUSE

Comparing this house to the Rennebohm house next door (site 11) shows how different architects could use the same features of a style to produce very different designs. Here, too, the main facade is dominated by two large gabled projections and here, too, the left-hand gable is clad in wood (in this instance, wood shingles), while the rest is uniformly clad in stone. Also present are other characteristic features of the Tudor Revival style – grouped multi-light casement windows and a massive chimney.

The difference is in how the architects, in this case the important Madison firm of Law, Law, & Potter, used these elements. First, a more irregular effect was achieved by making the right-hand bay larger than the one on the left and making it project out further as well. Second, the grouped casement windows are smaller than those of the neighboring house and the main entrance door has a Tudor rather than a pointed arch opening.

Dr. Elmer Severinghaus (1894-1980) was a professor of Medicine at the UW when this house was built. By the time of his death he was internationally known both as a research scientist in nutrition and as a humanitarian. In 1967, he served as the president of the United Church Board for World Ministries.

 

 

<<New homes just added>>

<<Download the booklet>>