CHARLES JUCKEM HOUSE

The highly intact one-and-one-half-story Juckem house is one of only five bungalows in Nakoma. Bungalows are a house form one to one-and-a-half stories tall, typically with side- or front-gabled roofs and welcoming front porches. Bungalows appear in many architectural styles, most frequently Craftsman in the midwest. The Juckem House is a superb example of a Craftsman style bungalow. Arts & Crafts movement leader Gustav Stickley popularized the architectural style in his magazine, The Craftsman. The style is linked most to bungalows (and mission oak furniture), but was also used for much larger homes. It emphasized unostentatious, simple materials, such as clapboard or wood shingle siding, and honest expression of structure, such as exposed rafter ends and beams.

The Juckem house is the only identified catalog house in Nakoma, a Sears, Roebuck & Co. “Hazelton” model. Other Nakoma bungalows include the Huegel house,
4218 Mandan Crescent (site g), and the Thomas house, 733 Oneida Place (site h), both built in 1915-1916.

Charles Juckem was the executive clerk of the recently established U.S. Forest Products Laboratory. He was among the first of the many upper level government employees who subsequently made Nakoma their home.

 

<<New homes just added>>

<<Download the booklet>>