CLEMENTS BUILDING

The original developers of Nakoma set up deed restrictions to ensure potential buyers that the development would be of high quality and would not include business operations. But the developers clearly realized that Nakoma’s first residents would require at least one local store where they could conveniently buy staples and sundries, since the only other stores in the vicinity were then located more than half a mile away. Consequently, W. L. Clements, an established grocer and meat purveyor, was allowed to build what has always been Nakoma’s only commercial building.

The Clements building, with its gambrel roof, stucco and half-timber work, and heavy supporting brackets, has a decidedly residential character and was clearly designed to fit into the neighborhood. From the street, the building appears to be one-and-a-half stories in height, but it has a full second story that contains a large multi-room apartment where Clements and his family resided.

Clements ran the store, which was known as the Nakoma Trading Post, until 1931, when it was taken over by Leo Yonash. Yonash and others ran it until 1979, when it closed and was replaced by the insurance office that still occupies the storefront today.

 

<<New homes just added>>

<<Download the booklet>>